Shirley L. Breda, President
Lois H. St. Amant, Vice President
|Patricia Baranco||Gwendolyn Kirk|
|Arminta Bolden||Thelma McDonald|
|Gloria Chapman||Thomasine Mencer|
|Marian Davis||Joyce O'Rourke|
|Doris Dawson||Elaine Patin|
|Eva Fields||Harriet Pitcher|
|Juanita Harris||Genevieve Stewart|
|Erma Hines||Luverne Travis|
|Pamela Hollins||Lorina Turner|
|Velma Jackson||Delores Washington|
|Elmenia Johnson||Phyllis White|
|Adrianne King||Theta Williams|
In the summer of 1984, Shirley Lewis Breda facilitated the first meeting of a group of professional women. Others supportive and instrumental in this endeavor were Arminta Bolden, Adrianne King, and Lois H. St. Amant. The purpose of the first meeting was to brainstorm and discuss the possibility of establishing a new Links chapter in the Baton Rouge area. The idea was met with great enthusiasm.
Following a series of meetings, the group formed an interest group named the Metropolitan Urbane League. They invited twenty-eight professional women, who were prospective members from the community. The Baton Rouge Chapter of The Links, Incorporated served as the local sponsor chapter. The members sought and received Interest Group Status from the members of the National Executive Board of The Links, Incorporated. The group, consisting of twenty dedicated women, successfully completed the requirements and was installed as La Capitale Chapter, The Links, Incorporated on April 12, 1986 by National President Dolly Desselle Adams. The installation reception was held at Boudreaux’s.
The Links, Incorporated is an international, not-for-profit corporation, established in 1946. It is one of the nation’s oldest and largest volunteer service organizations of extraordinary women. La Capitale was chartered as a chapter of the Links, Incorporated in 1986. Nationally, Link members contribute more than 500,000 documented hours of community service annually. For information, click here for our national website.